We have been notified that all Literacy Volunteers activities in all 12 Massachusetts affiliates have been immediately cancelled until April 9. MORE INFORMATION HERE. This is a temporary precaution to help slow the spread of the virus, in line with the CDC’s recommendations for community organizations. Please continue to practice social distancing, regular hand washing, and other good hygiene practices as recommended by the CDC to help keep our community healthy and safe.
The specific implications for Literacy Volunteers of Greater Worcester are as follows.
- All in-person one-to-one and group tutoring sessions are cancelled until April 9. Tutors, please feel free to use FaceTime, Skype, Google Hangouts, Zoom, WhatsApp, or simple phone calls and emails to remain in touch with your students. Tutors, please contact your students immediately to let them know of this temporary change. More information about technology resources will be sent next week to tutors.
- All in-person Literacy Academy classes are cancelled for the remainder of the semester. Some classes will be moved online. Lena will be in touch with the teachers on Monday to help plan the remainder of the semester via virtual learning. Students, please stay tuned for more details.
- The Rosetta Stone Open Lab is cancelled for the remainder of the semester.
- The remainder of the March ESOL Tutor Training session is cancelled until further notice. We will try to reschedule the remaining sessions in April or May depending on this evolving situation.
- The March 20th Tutor Workshop is cancelled until further notice.
- The March 29th Good Deeds Day Potluck & Cultural Celebration is cancelled until further notice.
- The April 7th Tutor Orientation is cancelled until further notice.
- Both LVGW offices will be closed through April 9. Administrative staff will be working remotely starting March 16.
- You can still contact us. To reach us by phone, please call 508-754-8056 and the following extensions to leave a voicemail. It will be emailed to us and we will return your call as soon as possible.
- As of right now, the Scrabble event on May 2 is still scheduled. We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision closer to that date based on the recommendations of the CDC and state and local health officials. We will send updates as the date approaches.
Please remember that these changes are temporary and precautionary to keep our community healthy and safe. We will continue to communicate with you all in the coming weeks. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.
Together we will get through this! Stay well and take care.
Literacy Volunteers of Greater Worcester