Literacy Volunteers of Greater Worcester has been selected as one of just 50 organizations to participate in the Adult Literacy XPRIZE Communities Competition, a national competition that challenges organizations and individuals to recruit adults to use learning apps to improve their English literacy skills.
While these apps will not replace our core programming of one-to-one tutoring and ESL courses, we are keen to explore their use to augment more formal and personalized learning. The award-winning apps in this competition expand access to literacy education and break down barriers to learning as people can access them any time, any place, and at their discretion.
Please join our team. Improving literacy rates can boost labor productivity, lower healthcare costs, strengthen communities, and break the cycle of poverty. Working together we can improve adult literacy rates and help people in our community thrive.
HOW DOES THE COMPETITION WORK?
- This competition runs from April 1 – August 31, 2019.
- Simply download one, or both, of the award-winning literacy apps.
- All apps are field-tested and free to download and use.
- All apps are exclusively available for smartphones and tablets that use the Android operation system (OS). (Sorry Apple users – this contest is for Android devices only and not available for IOS)
- Make sure you qualify by using the app on at least 3 different days during the competition.
Ready to Get Started? Register Now
- Free, easy access. Use these new award-winning apps anytime, anywhere, and at no cost through August 2020.
- Learn English on your schedule. Speed up your English skill proficiency by using apps between ESL classes or while you’re on the wait list for a tutor.
- Support LVGW. If the LVGW team recruits the most participants in our tier size, we will receive a significant cash prize for our small non-profit, which we will reinvest back into our educational programming for additional resources, materials and technology.
Ready to Get Started? Register Now
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Adults who want to improve their ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Community organizations who want a new tools to help them advance their constituent goals through increased English literacy.
CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE LEARNING APPS?
About the Learning Upgrade App
Learning Upgrade lessons provide libraries, adult schools, colleges, and literacy programs with a new solution for ESL, Reading, ABE, Math, and Diploma GED®/HiSET® instruction. The step-by-step lessons let adults learn anywhere, at school, at home, and even on their Android OS smartphone or tablet. This app is currently not available on Apple devices.)
LVGW Recommended for beginner- to intermediate-level ESL Learners!
The Codex: Lost Words of Atlantis app supports research-based practices in literacy learning and game-based learning. The core gameplay revolves around crafting English phonemes, onset-rime patterns, and sight words to “decode” an ancient alien language. This app is currently available on Android OS devices only, not Apple devices.)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-754-8056 for more assistance or information on the Communities Competition or instruction assistance for apps.
Rosetta Stone Online Learning
Due to library renovation plans in 2019, LVGW will not be able to offer Rosetta Stone in the WPL Computer Lab effective May 2019.
Please stop by the Literacy Volunteers of Greater Worcester main office at the Worcester Public Library, Suite 332 near the Historical Room for beginner student level access to Rosetta Stone online learning.
Our staff will be happy to assist you in your ESL learning goals.